Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The last push

Today I get ready for the last gasp of moving out of a house, you know, the carpet cleaners.
Once they have come and done their magic no one sets foot in the house again! Finally, it's clean, it can pass inspection, be ready for new lives to come and mess it all up again.
This house is relatively new, only 30 or so years old, but it holds a lot of my memories. Yet, I've never really liked this house after the first blush of ownership had passed.
The joke for us, "it was built by the Plywood Man." So very true, lots of wood, not a lot of style.
Consider homes that are over 100 years old. There are a lot of those in middle America. Do I want to live in one? I believe the term for those houses are "money pits." I'm just don't want to go there right now. Plus, think of the memories that will linger in those houses. Are they good or maleviolent? Do they want you there to add to the memory bank or not? My husband says he can feel them. Me? I just move on in my ignorance and don't feel them. It still gives me a moment of pause though.
I look forward to starting a new life in an abode that both of us will enjoy. It could be a while, but I've heard that living in a 21' travel trailer can really teach you to pare down your living style. I've been told that I really need this lesson. H-m-m-m.
A good cliche to always remember, "home is where the heart is." I think I will be realizing what those words really mean!

No comments: